Friday, January 20, 2023

"I Ain't New to Dis!"

 Yes, I said it, ebonics and all.  I am not new to building robots and making stuff.  I've been pursuing engineering/mechanical/industrial design since elementary school.  Ever since I was introduced to giant fighting robots and the likes from all the 70's/80's Japanimations/cartoons that proliferated kids programming on television.  I could not get enough of it and I determined within myself to figure out a way to build what I saw on the screen.  Now here I am in 2023 watching all of the amazing robots that have been designed by so many smart people and institutions, and I'm like God, what have I produced?  Why am I not, at the least, involved in some innovative robot project?  Why don't I ever see faces that look like mine on the teams that build such projects?  Why don't I have any friends that build bots?  

I see all the young people with access to this new influx of technology, 3d printers, laser cutters, cnc machines (3 to 5 axis) and so on.  I came up before this era, where I had to hone my model making skills, sketching, and soldering.  Now it's time to add the old to the new and get back into robot making.  

Just to give a little taste of my previous projects.  I'd like to introduce you to my Squatter Buster


This little unit was the property of the Cobb County police dept.  It originally came to me as a Traxxas E-Maxx and a old paintball gun.  My task was to get it all assembled together with a camera/transmitter and make it into a radio controlled less lethal deterrent.   Using an analog camera and video transmitter along with a JR airplane radio, the Badger was born.  Here's a run down of its features:

>Servo controlled Pan/Tilt

>Full auto fire (switch activated)

>Retained stock speed... (too fast to drive indoors lol)

This would be my first foray into this type of platform, but it wouldn't be my last.  Here's a sample of it in action evicting a squatter (me) in an   empty house.  Enjoy!  Be sure to add your email to the blog so you won't miss all the robot/mechanical goodness that is coming.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment